Monday, May 25

Monday – A Magical Boy = A Magical Day


The sun had hardly crept out of the ocean when I was up ready for today’s adventure.  My Momma had not seen a turtle so the plan of the day was to head out to Leinster Bay in search of turtles.  Poppa told me that I might even see a turtle pop his head up to get a breath of air.  (BTW - yes I know a turtle is not a puppy, puppies do not swim underwater)  I was pumped and ready to see the turtles!  Daddy loaded my carrier in the Explorer because we had a ¾-mile hike to the beach on Leinster. 

We headed up the North Shore Road so we could enjoy the overlooks along the way.  As Poppa climbed up the s-turn by the Peter Bay entrance, I think I may have heard a bad word.  The gas gauge was below a quarter tank, and Poppa was not comfortable driving all the way out to Annaberg and returning to Cruz Bay.  The big blue beast took a left turn into Cinnamon Bay and everybody jumped out.  Poppa and Aunt Bridget headed back to Cruz Bay to get gas.  The sand was so white and the water was so blue at Cinnamon that I just stood in awe.   Then I did something I had not done all week. 


I walked to the water on my own.  The water was cool and the sand became soft, and all I could do is just slowly watch my feet disappear and reappear with every wave. 

We killed time playing on the beach until Poppa returned.  When Poppa came, the family had a discussion on a change of plan.  It had become too late for a morning on Leinster Beach when the turtles come close to shore, so it was decided to head back to Maho.  Yippee – No hike!  Minutes later, I am back on the beach having fun after a very short ride.  YaYa and I played in the water splashing little fish.  Then I got a special treat. 

My first Oreo cookie!  It was some kind of good.  I got more on me than in me, but I immediately figured out how to unscrew the cookie and get the good white stuff out of the middle. 


Then it was back to the water to ride my raft. 


As usual, my eyelids started to get heavy.  A quick bed was made and I faded off to dream world on beautiful Maho Beach.
 
While I was asleep, the rents (aka parents) headed out looking for the elusive turtles.  It was not long before turtles were spotted by YaYa.  There were also some big rays with little fish hanging on their backs.   Daddy began snapping pictures right and left, and even got Momma in the picture with a turtle far below. 



Then he played with the settings on the camera and got some weird effects. 


Uncle Brandon had his GoPro running and Daddy was snapping lots of pictures.   Between the two of them, the bottom of Maho was thoroughly captured in still and moving pictures.  Momma and Daddy went out a couple times to explore the sea bottom and look for more sea life.  On their second expedition, they saw a small (very small) shark.  My momma is a runner not a swimmer, but she took off at pace that would have challenged Michael Phelps.  It was not the small shark that scared her, but the thought of where is that baby’s mother.  Anyway, she returned to her sleeping beach baby out of breath.
 
A young man stopped by our spot under the trees and said he and his fiancé had been sitting in this same spot earlier in the day.  He had been given the task of safeguarding his future bride’s engagement ring.  Well it was in his lap and when he stood up it was gone, and he did not even realize it.  Now two hours later they had returned to search for their symbol of love.   Everyone worked together and carefully searched the area to no avail.   There was only one place left to look.  

Poppa rubbed my head and said, “magic baby make the ring appear”.  He and YaYa carefully picked up the raft without disturbing my slumber and moved me further under the shade.  YaYa reached down and picked up the ring out of the sand to squeals of delight from the girl that would wear this ring forever.  Poppa even took pictures of the couple, the ring, and a sleeping baby - me.  Everyone was so happy and amazed the lost item had been found.   Thank you and congratulations were exchanged and the happy couple was off. 
 
We enjoyed the beach for a while after I awoke.  Poppa snapped this picture of Momma and Daddy.  It is an important picture not because my two parents look happy and relaxed, but there is a little blue bag in the background. 


As the day came to an end, we all worked together to gather our belongings.  When everything was collected one blue bag remained.   No one in our posse claimed the bag.  Inside was a book, some odds and ends, and the all important cell phone.  Aunt Bridget tried to identify whose phone it was so she called the last number dialed.  No answer so we left a message.  There was a text on the phone that said call this number if you find the phone.  Eventually we found the owner of the phone.  They were staying on the East End, but Poppa told them we are heading to Cruz Bay.  They would meet us there in 45 minutes.   They agreed to Starfish Market as the rendezvous point, which made Poppa happy.  Somehow, the villa ran out of Presidente and bottled water...again! 

Entering Cruz Bay everyone hopped out at Joe’s Rib Shack except Poppa who headed to the market.  Dinner was going to be ribs and chicken, rice and beans, slaw, corn, fruit and Joe was going to provide most of the fixings.

Poppa waited and waited at Starfish for the owner of the missing phone in the blue bag.  Finally, he got a text saying they were at Dolphin Market.  Oh well he was headed back to pick up us at Joe’s.  Well he was so slow that we had time to check out new place Long Boards.  Poppa went around the traffic circle in front of the market to return the blue bag.  Lo and behold, who was standing there?   Yep, the young man that lost the engagement ring.  I guess his sweetie was so excited to get her ring back that she left her bag on the beach.  Poppa wished them the best of luck and continued down the hill to get us. 


Everybody was enjoying a frozen libation when he finally arrived.  We loaded up the car and headed back to our Gifft Hill retreat.
 
Dinner was another feast and there was so much that I knew I would be seeing it for lunch tomorrow.   Another first also happened at our BBQ dinner.  Thomas (that's me) was allowed to come to the dinner table with no shirt.  That is NEVER allowed at YaYa's table!  Men and boys must have a shirt on before they enter the dinning area.  I think it was because I do not have many clean clothes left, and you know where BBQ is going to be on a little boy.   I am sure that being shirtless at YaYa's dinner table is a once in a lifetime experience.

Once again it seem like bedtime came early and everyone was ready for it.  Another magical day, in a magical place, and I was the genie that when Poppa rubbed my head a ring appeared.   

Poppa and I chilled on the deck watching a Fireman Sam adventure.  St Thomas was glittering in the background and it was not long before we called it a night.

 

1 comment:

  1. My goodness, that was quite a day! Oreos, sharks, turtles and engagement rings oh my! LOVE the photos...

    ReplyDelete